Saturday, June 26, 2010

My Take - Movie - Raavan

Since the last weekend, when this movie got released, almost everyone who's in touch with me and had watched the movie said that it was not good. Everyone almost in unison agreed that there was nothing in the movie except the cinematography. And that the movie was an almost copy of Ramayana. Almost, because during climax, the movie differs, a little, from the Epic.

The concept of the movie is, actually, picked up from Ramayana. If I would have to present the story in a couple of lines it would be that Ravana kidnaps Ram's wife Sita but couldn't kill her. Ram finds Hanuman and with his help finds Sita and kills Ravana. Sounds pretty boring and a bad guy - good guy story that we've seen so many times?? But there you are mistaken. Ravana, here, is shown to be a Robin Hood.. and the Ram we are talking about.. Oh!! he's not a divine being.. he too has his flaws. So who's the hero of the movie.. Hmm.. Viewer sympathies go with Ravana.. And the Sita here.. too seems to be impressed by this Ravana...

I would say that the movie is a new take about the epic we know as Ramayana. It's just another perspective at it after greying out the characters of both Ram and Ravana. Just another perspective after deglorifying a part of the epic. After making the characters real.
If u look at it as a standalone movie the story may seem almost nothing. But, I guess, the director gave it the name Raavan, for a reason. So that, it is to be seen in connection with the great epic. So that it is clear that this is his perspective of the great epic deglorified.

The beautiful Kerala and Konkan backdrops simply look gorgeous. The acting in the movie too is pretty good.. apart from Aishwarya... who seems as if she has forgotten how to look real...
Earlier I had heard a few people terming the acting of Abhishek as pathetic.. as if he was acting like a madman... But my perspective again is a li'l different... A lot of times it is told that he has 10 heads.. In one scene I remember, it's actually shown that inside his head a lot of thoughts rang but he listened to one and spoke out only that one.. That I think is the reason why he's shown as a madman... A lot of thoughts ringing inside his head...

To be honest, I liked the movie because it slightly represents a concept, a theory, that I have been thinking for long. Because it made me think along those lines again. I'll put the theory in a separate blog entry. But about this movie.. I simply say that this is at least a one time watch but leave the religious taboos at home and think What If this was what actually happened. What If, Raavan, was not all wrong.. What If Ram was not all correct... I just ask you to think What If??

1 comment:

  1. Everybody is a shade of grey and no one is white or black.
    Thanks for sharing ur views about the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete