Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Solutions

So this came out of absolutely nowhere. A random email added some coal to the old steam engine, which led my train of thought on an entirely new path.

So, I was thinking about how to resolve a particular problem that was unfolding in an email in which I was copied. And I wondered how sometimes, you just have to let things unfold for them to resolve, just give it time and let others catch up. This led me to think of an analogy coz I do that best. And the nearest thing I could think of was how you irrigate a farm from a canal (the old-fashioned way). You make way for water to go through pre-made channels before you open up the gate and let gravity do its thing. You put the effort upfront, let nature take its course, and fix/guide only if the water(problem) is not going the way you want it to. Let others work for you while you guide and keep them on the path.

Then I thought, can this approach be used everywhere? Not really. Works in this case, but if you're gonna move rocks, you can't just build them a path. For that, you gotta build transport. So just by changing one variable in the problem statement, the solution is no longer applicable.  Taking the irrigation problem, if I introduce a volume cap to it or add a KPI on how quickly the water reaches the furthest corner of the field, I would have the change that solution or introduce changes to it at least, like adding a pump somewhere or building a network of pipes. 

If I change the problem entirely, the solution would have to undergo a complete overhaul too. And that's where the skill of problem-solving comes into the picture. Understanding that not all problems are created equal, evaluating the variables involved, and coming up with the best solution that accounts for it - it takes patience, perseverance, and a calculated risk. And that combination is rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment