Friday, July 21, 2023

Perspectives

 So, with the sea of thoughts churning within me, I resorted to music to get some clarity on my thoughts. Now I've long believed that every single mood of mine, or a series of thoughts going through my head, can be reflected in a song. The one today, going on repeat, is "Sadda Haq" from the movie Rockstar. A song that was an instant hit when it came out, but I never saw the charm of it. Until now.

It starts with positing this : 

"Tum logon ki is duniya mein,
Har kadam par insaan galat.
Mein sahi samajh kar jo bhi karun,
tum kehte ho galat.
Mein galat hun to phir kaun sahi?
Marzi see jeene ki bhi mein kya tum sab ko arzi dun?
Matlab ki tum sabka mujhpe mujhse bhi zyada haq hai?"

Translating to English, it means :

"In your world,
every step someone takes is wrong.
I do something that I consider to be right,
but you tell me that I do it wrong.
If I'm wrong, then who's right?
To live as I want, do I need to petition you and get your approval?
Does that mean that y'all own me more than I do?"


Thinking through it, I realized that everyone that listens to this song identifies with the person asking the question and not the crowd the question is being asked of. Something that I also recently read in a book - Everyone is a hero in their own story. Nobody considers themselves to be the villain or that they are doing something wrong. Falling back to a very old theory of mine, every action that someone takes can be explained given the circumstances. Lex Luthor considers himself to be correct. So does Joker and Penguin, and every other comic book villain. 

So yes, everyone considers themselves to be right. If that's the case, then where there's disagreement, the only two ways of resolution become complete annihilation of one party or a compromise between the two. This assumes that neither of them is ready to change their beliefs.

Take an example of the current American politics - that seems to be kind of where it's heading. Unless the people realize that being stubborn with their beliefs and not being ready to see the other side or to achieve a compromise, this path will only lead to chaos.


No comments:

Post a Comment