Sunday, August 7, 2011

Memory

And here comes the next in series of my weird theories. So I had just started watching this movie called "Sorority Wars" and within the first five minutes I started thinking. A scene sequence shows the mom of the female lead reminiscing on the stage about her time in the college. Which made me think about how we store memories and recollect them. Being a software engineer I of course looked upto my IT vocab to explain the phenomenon.
So we say that brain stores memories, facts and directs the actions etc. I would call the brain a CPU and maybe in a later blog entry go on about it in more detail but right now just wanted to talk about the memories part. So i started wondering how do we reminisce. We reminisce when we see something. Even if we were not looking for those memories they come back flooding. Objectifying this I would think in database terms that if u are looking for some data a lot of other data that was not needed comes flooding. And with that comes more data and more and more until you just cant handle that much or give attention to something else. This is what we call the train of thought. In IT terms it seems to be a query that continuously runs on the params it finds till it has the CPUs attention. The only way to stop the flood of data is to divert the CPUs attention.
Now as per one of my great teachers', A mind is like a filing cabinet.. Each memory is like a file and if you have too many files the cabinet starts getting cluttered.
When I think the same in IT terms it's like a huge relational database. Rather something like an object oriented relational database. You have objects and you have properties. Objects can be anything or anyone. A person, a picture, a car, a location everything is an object as well as a property. So if you are thinking about a person, all the properties related to the object get loaded into your mind. Birthdate, locations where you met, common persons you know which infact leads you to a memory of the person. Now the memory can either be the latest or it could be the one with the most hits(something which we call "etched in our memory"). With the memory comes more attributes and hence the train of thought continues.
It's something like some of the music sites now offer. You like something and it will look up the genre, artist, album etc and then recommend other songs with similar properties. Similar is the memory structure. Just many times bigger and many times more complex. I don't know what my point of writing the blog was. Just that I thought something and so I put it down. :)

1 comment:

  1. Felt like reading more. Wish you could have written more about this topic.

    ReplyDelete