Sunday, May 8, 2016

Tinted Glasses

I've already written a blog about how much it peeves me to hear the phrase "It depends" to a simple Yes/No answer. Let me add to that. I absolutely hate it when people turn a bias into a defense for their thinking.
The bias could take any form. "You haven't lived here long enough so you don't know", "You are a girl/guy so you wouldn't understand", "You've never worked under my manager so you don't know".
This is how it happens.. Two people start talking about something. One explains a particular issue they are having in their life and asks for others' advice. The other starts advising but the advice is soon thrown out of the window coz "No I couldn't do this and you wouldn't understand because you
Why is this a pet peeve now? Coz all my life I've dedicated time to observe people. So much that I don't even like being around most based on my observations. And there's a difference between a quick judgement and forming an opinion based on observations. Amazingly, people do not understand the difference. I digress. So, I love knowledge and I love observing people. Combine that and you get someone with a decent enough understanding of how people work. I've seen friends, family, colleagues come to me to talk about their issues and get advice since they know I weigh everything and provide them a neutral view free from bias. And yet, often I get the "You don't understand coz.." because the other party refuses to comprehend the complex logic behind things.
No clue where I'm going with this but whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment